Monday 26 December 2011

Challenges 5 & 6 Complete!

Firstly...
Apologies, I started writing this a while ago but a big project got in the way (I'll write about it in another post). So I'm trying to catch up today so there maybe a few posts today or over the next couple of days to make up. I have also been doing some mini personal challenges which I'll put in other posts. OK, back to the story...


Ms G. set me 2 short challenges -
  1. Design and make a desk sign with Ms G.'s name on. Potato printing is preferable. To be completed by 13th December. 
  2. Design and make Ms G. a Christmas card with potato printing. I can make more than one and give them out. To be completed by 13th December. 
Both of these were completed by Friday 18th November.

No. 1 - Ms G.'s desk sign
Whilst the potato printing was drying (see below) I took the opportunity to make the desk sign. I didn't want it to look like other peoples desk signs in the office, Ms G. deserves better that that and I wanted it to be as individual as Ms G. herself. The idea came from the thought of flowers on a desk so decided on a posy of letters and smaller flowers. The five letters and three smaller flowers seemed to look best.

Ingredients (as it were...)
Jewellery wire
Card
Colour pens
Cut glass beads
Sticky tape
Blutac
Candle holder

Luckily I had jewellery wire which worked perfectly as it's easily to mold and holds. The letters were cut out of the card and decorated with gold or red pen. To make them look a little more interesting I added some cut glass beads. Large springs were shaped by molding the jewellery wire around a wooden kitchen spoon. Beads were then added to it. A bead was fixed on to the end with the wire rounded to stop them all falling off.

The springs were then attached to the letters with sticky tape. Not entirely convinced they will stick for very long but they're still on (as of 26/12). Letters were attached to the varying lengths of jewellery wire with sticky tape. I thought this might give it more interest and a feeling of movement (it's all quite bouncy!)

Three small foam flowers where put on smaller bits of wire and bound to the letters with more jewellery wire wound round. I wound just over an inch to hold it all in place. Tight enough to hold but enough movement to adjust each of the strands.

My boss gave me a small candle holder to put it in. It is less than an inch square, cream coloured, glass (or plastic, can't remember). It's supposed to hold very thin candles but he wasn't going to use it so he gave it all to me. The posy was fixed in the candle holder with bluetac - not attractive but you can't see it anyway.

I love it and Ms G. seemed pleased with it. It stands on top of her computer screen almost like it has a fringe. I must say it is always a relief to see it still standing with no bits falling off!

No. 2 - Christmas card using potato printing.
I don't think I've done potato printing since infant school, it was so much fun! I only had 2 pots of paint - red and blue and therefore purple as well. I used poster paint from a local stationary shop. Whilst I was in the shop I saw some old fashioned luggage labels which looked perfect for Christmas present labels. I thought I could kill two birds with one stone and do those as well.

Ingredients
Small bag of new potatoes
Baking tray
Small kitchen knife
Poster paints
A4 piece of card folded (I used white card but you can use any colour that goes with the paints)

Take a potato and half it. The size of the potato depends on how big you want the letter to be in the end. Carve into the flat side of the potato the letter required. Remember to reverse the letter because otherwise it will print the opposite way round. A mistake I made - don't have a go, I hadn't done this since I was 6! I would suggest only going 5mm deep into the potato, leaving the other end for your fingers. You need to make sure you're fingers can hold the potato without touching the paint or marking the card.

Once all the letters are ready lay out on a baking tray and put in a warm oven for about 5 mins. This is to dry them out slightly and reduce the chances of moisture making the paint run and ruining the end product. I suppose this was entirely necessary but it seemed like a logical thing to do.

Splodge some paint onto a paper plate or paint pallet (whatever you have). Dab the potato letter into the paint and print it onto the paper - easy! You need to hold the potato steady and press into the card. This was the point at which I realised my E and N were the wrong way round... The E was easy to correct, just turn it up the other way round. The N was more of an issue. I decided it looked pretty cool backwards and Ms G. wasn't going to mind so I left it.

Leave somewhere to dry out of the way and not in the way of housemates.

Later, I decorated and highlighted with a gold pen. Fabulous!

(N.B. Pictures to follow)

It felt really good doing something different and its rare that I get the chance to do more arty things (I'm not the artist in the family...). Hey, it's not perfect but neither am I and if the recipient is happy then it's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment