Monday 26 December 2011

Challenge 1 Complete!

Ticking them off now!

Reminder: Challenge 1 - Make Chutney by Christmas (challenge laid down by Ms G.)

I have never made chutney before and I'm not known by my family and friends as the worlds best chef but I do like cooking so was up for the challenge. After lengthy discussion with Ms G. we settled on a tomato chutney from the BBC website - http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2644/autumn-tomato-chutney There were plenty of other recipes available some which were much more spicy but I thought a traditional one was appropriate for the time of year.

Ingredients
1kg ripe tomatoes (peeled and chopped)
750g cooking apples (peeled, cored and chopped)
375g light muscovado sugar
250g raisins
250g onions (chopped)
1 green pepper (chopped)
2 teaspoons of salt
1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
350ml cider vinegar

There's not a lot of skill involved apart from knowing when it's ready. There is an awful lot of prep though. Chopping, lots of chopping. When it's all chopped, put it all into a large pan or preserving pan. I followed the recipe to the dot. The only thing they don't tell you what to do is how to go about sterilising the jars. With some help from a housemate and my mum (who makes a lot of jam) this is what you need to do - clean the jars and lids thoroughly and let them dry. Either put them in the oven for a couple of minutes or pour boiling water over them and in them. Once out, pour chutney immediately. Do not leave them out for ages as the bacteria will reform and grow. So you should do this just before the chutney is ready.

How do you know the chutney is ready?
Interesting question, I asked this to a colleague who it seems is an expert chutney maker (I had no idea). When it is nearing time to finishing (about 50-55mins in to simmering) run your wooden spoon along the top of the mixture, if the trough fills with liquid and mixture it's not ready. If it doesn't, it is! There should still be some liquid in the pan but not enough to fill the trough.

The smell was amazing and filled the house. At the start it was all vinegar but it mellowed out and was replaced by a sweet fruity smell.

The mixture filled 5 jam jars worth and there was a little bit left so me and my housemate had a cheeky cheese and cracker snack. It tasted really good, I was so surprised! So I took two jars back home for Christmas and the family seem reasonably impressed. One of the jars will be left for me and my housemates then there's one for Ms G. (it only seems fair she has one of them) then there's one left over.

(N.B. Pictures to come)

No comments:

Post a Comment