Monday 7 November 2011

Creative slump

Hello, I'm Em.

I'm in a creative slump.

Actually, I'm nearly always in a creative slump until that undeniably wonderful feeling of creativity pops up. Sometimes its for a couple of minutes and sometimes its for hours on end. I know when I'm being creative because when something works, it really does work. I get butterflies in my tummy, a tingling in my fingers and I grin like a Cheshire cat because I know I'm standing on the edge of the cliff looking out. I know that if I make the right decisions and go with my gut instinct it could be amazing. 

It's rare that creative feeling and I think that is what annoys me most. Is there a way of harnessing it? Can I learn to make the most of those moments? Are there triggers for being creative? Can I learn how to switch it on and off whenever I wanted to? Does it even exist or is it me being weird?

I think the first thing I need to do is be more positive about my own creativity. I know I am and can be creative, I have been hundreds of times before. So why not this time?

Next thing is to remember that it's rare to get flashes of inspiration. So when they do happen, seize the idea and run with it. Go where ever it takes you. 

Next...I'm the only one who can actually do it. No one else can be creative on my behalf. 

But I don't have to do it all on my own. Friends are great at pointing you in new and exciting directions and this is where I'm starting. 

I asked and handful of friends to set me creative challenges....

No comments:

Post a Comment